Makers Collage - coming in December from Windham Fabrics!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Quilter's Story

I wrote to  a friend recently.
Passing on some information about a private party quilt and fabric sale.


"there's a story in those quilts and fabrics"

I wrote to her...I'll share it with you one day
we all make quilts.
we all make quilts for different reasons.

we select fabrics, carefully,
and add them to our stash
some fabrics are chosen with specific people in mind

we think of those we love as we look at quilts or patterns
or fabrics

and they carry our love to them in the finished quilt
that they wrap around them
as they move through their lives

but sometimes we part with our intended fabrics, or quilts, or blocks
or projects

I hope when you receive that gift of a fat quarter bundle
or a quilt top
or a stack of blocks

that you will honour the person that first had these treasures
bless them
and give wing to their projects
put your own story
into those fabrics
that quilt
and pass it on to someone you love

HappiestDays
natalie

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Natalie, this is very thought provoking. Recently when the call came, I made a couple of quilts for Japan. And even more recently I've embarked on making quilt tops for Joplin. I send them with the prayer that they will warm someone, not only their body, but their hearts as well.

natalie. beyond the reef said...

...very well put. Warming hearts, one project at a time.

Bennett and Graves said...

My quilt 'thing' is that I always include in a new quilt fabric from a previous one. Each one has a little story from another built in.