Makers Collage - coming in December from Windham Fabrics!

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Happiness is!!!


"You tell yourself how can you possibly take advantage of what life has to offer if you are not in the right place at the right time.  But even in the right place at the right time, you can miss your chance."

(aka - why is the search for happiness something that makes so many people depressed?)





There are times when we approach things - really, anything in life - in the manner described in the quote above.

"If I had just the right yellow, I could do this quilt.  If I had the exact fabrics that the original quilt designer used, I could get it right."
"If I had the house, the car, the wife, the kids, the job, the tool, the jewel, the body, the mind, the the the...."


So, in today's blog, in this week's blog, I am here to let you know.  I give you permission.  Go ahead.  
This IS your right time.  This IS the right place.  
This IS the only fabric you have so MAKE YOUR QUILT.
Make your life.


Take a look at what you HAVE not what you don't have. Take a look at what's right in front of you and delight in it. Delight in what you do have.  You have (probably, if you're reading this blog) a roof over your head.  Make it your safe place.  Whatever it is.  You may have a car, or a bike, or two legs or even wheels.  Delight in that mobility.  You may not have a wife, a husband, a partner, a love of your life.  But you may have someone in your life that loves you free.  Even if it's the dog, you probably, if you look, will find that even the postman knows your name...The same person checks your groceries every week.  Someone knows you and loves you free.  Thank God.  Look at that person in a new light.  Delight.  I don't have kids.  I delight in others' kids.  Without tuition and books, but the simple glee of seeing them every so often.  I quilt for my job.  Gosh.  Enough said.  I create for a living.  Next.  I have quilted with the scissors I could find in the kitchen that would barely cut fabric - before I was able to buy Ginghers.  As for jewels, consider the mother that delights in the macaroni necklace she receives...and heavens to betsy...thank God every day for your body.  It is a mass of cells that seem to (most of the time) run on autopilot.  THAT is a miracle.  And you DO have an active mind.  You're with me so far on this week's blog.  That counts.



Okay.  Sure.  Pollyanna strikes again.  Glass full not empty.  BUT.

Trust me.

Next time you're a live and breathing, just stop for a moment to look at what's right in front of you.  No more, no less. 
Whaddya see?  Yep.  Probably Happiness.
Happiness IS.







be.do.create
2008

Thanks for thinking of 
b e y o n d   t h e   r e e f

Natalie

PS - yes, I mean quilting too...
PHOTOS ARE FROM QUILTING DAY WITH LittleNATALIE AND BeNATALIE


No comments: