Makers Collage - coming in December from Windham Fabrics!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deadlines and the Creative Process

There are days...
There are days when the creative process and the light and the timing all come together.
There are days when the bobbin stays full until you are done with a seam.
There are days when all the pieces are cut and trimmed the right dimension.

And on those days...
deadlines and the creative process come together.

It's tough, tho, isn't it, to work creatively towards a deadline.
Not a self imposed deadline.  Hey.  I've heard you have up to one year after a birth or marriage to present your gift, so let's not talk about those deadlines.  

But I mean the kind of deadline like
DO IT NOW
deadlines

I once heard a motivational speaker ask the question,
"what could you get done in a day if, at the end of the day, if you finished everything,
you could go on a one month vacation to (fill in your own best idea here)?"
Could you get it all done?
Could you work more efficiently?

I have a 7 month old Guide Dog Puppy coming tonite to stay for four days.
And I'm working feverishly trying to finish the samples and the patterns and the handouts and the buying
for the

My Creative Process is on high alert.
My deadline is now.
My time is now.
When is your time?
When will you get creative?
When will the light be just right, the bobbin full, the fabric selected, the time to do what you want available to you?
I gotta say - there is no time like now.
Because it's all we got.
As Rumi says,
"Don't be like the vessel full of water whose rim is dry"

Enjoy the day!
sparkle+shine
2009

Thanks for thinking of 
b e y o n d   t h e   r e e f

www.beyondthereefpatterns.com






No comments: