Makers Collage - coming in December from Windham Fabrics!

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Not for the faint of heart.....

#quiltmarketprep

Spring Market, Minneapolis, Minnesota

quilt market prep
is not
for the faint of heart

most people think of seasons as spring + summer + fall + winter
but professional quilters think of only two seasons

spring quilt season
and
fall quilt season

these seasons coincide with Quilts Inc. International Quilt Market(s)


this Spring Market
I am so lucky to be speaking at a Schoolhouse about my very own book
A Modern Twist
and will be attending book signings
at your favorite Distributors' booths
and at the Martingale/TPP booth
you will also find me in my own Booth 323

I have been making quilts
from new patterns designed just for Spring Market 2015

writing patterns
after testing blocks, pairing them with new release fabrics
testing the blocks for color
making the quilt tops
(while correcting step by step instructions and confirming yardage requirements previously created)
sending the top to the fabulous Quilting is my Bliss quilter
working back and forth with Teresa to come up with quilting that is appropriate for the design
and binding, binding, binding
then shipping, shipping, shipping to meet fabric companies' May 4 deadlines

then there is the graphic designer
(me)
that has sent new business cards, catalogs, handouts, and book flyers
(along with the new pattern booklets)
to the printer

throughout the whole process
pattern orders must still be filled
bills paid, checks written
and
#morningwalkswithbuddy
must go on
while this pic at first glance seems to say
chaos
 it struck me that this pic
really describes the amount of
heart
 that the quilt industry designers
put into our work
patterns, notions, fabrics, books
quilts, bags, garments, homegoods 

a little bit of our life is poured into every design we present to you
so the next time you purchase a yard of fabric
a pattern
a book
please remember this picture
and remember to support a quilt designer...one you know, or one that is just starting out
a pattern is the cost of a deli sandwich
a book is only the cost of two (or maybe three) patterns
a magazine has many, many patterns in it for the price of a fancy coffee
or a few pots of home made coffee
fabric travels around the world to come home to your local quilt shop
for somewhere between 8-12 dollars a yard
a quilt will take you months to make
for the cost of about one four hour round of golf at a public course
won't you click on one of those links below this blog
and purchase a book from one of my blog friends
or from me.... 

quilt market prep is not for the faint of heart
be.do.create.
natalie
and
  take some time to read
blog posted by Joanna Figueroa's husband 

(thanks, Vic, for house/dog sitting for me while I am away!!!)

1 comment:

CarolZ said...

Natalie, your photo looks like heaven to me! I'm very grateful that you have produced some of the most wonderful patterns for me create with on my weekends. I'm now working on 2 versions of your Big Kahuna bag--one strictly following your instructions, the other adding a few changes. You've done the work for me, so all I have to do is customize it for my people. Any Chance you'll be at the quilt show in Pasadena in Feb.? Thank you for all you do.