Makers Collage - coming in December from Windham Fabrics!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"bee beautiful" for 2010




b e e   b e a u t i f u l
12 talented women
+
12 months of the year
+
fabric (lots of fabric)
+
USPostalService
=
a quilting bee!!!!

In all of my lectures, classes, trunk shows, teaching on the floor, on the fly, wherever I am,
I always tell people,
"if you sew long enough, the pieces are bound to get bigger"
...and they did...
That 'title pic' up there?
That was the challenge of month #1 - well, that and logging on to get the instructions, the inspiration, the pattern...an online bee!
And this 'pic' below?
The remains.
...if you just sew long enough....


Here are the blocks for month one
of the bee beautiful sewing bee
Rebekah's fabric and her Log Cabin blocks.
talented quilter #1.
I, for one, can't wait to see what she puts together for the final quilt.



We were asked to do a log cabin block.
And being a bit, oh, ahem, more traditional in my studies,
I took her literally.
Can you see the dark/light sides?
Well, sort of literally.  There is some FUN in there, too...cmmon...



And with that pile of 'what's left', I made two Priority Quilts.
You know, Ami Simms Alzheimer Quilts?
Because  b e y o n d   t h e   r e e f  began the year
at
Road to California
with the slogan
"In getting, we give"
So I decided that in getting all of this inspiration from being a part of the 'bee beautiful' quilting bee
I could give back - one Priority Quilt a month, Ami.
There's also some talk from the other bee members to do one additional block a month for an extra charity quilt from the quilting bee....


And finally, what this means, is that once a month, I am bound to present the 'bee beautiful' block 
to all of you, too!
What a big bee we be!

begin again
2010

Natalie.

2 comments:

jules said...

yay pretty blocks!! i'm so glad that you agreed to join us in the bee! now i need to go make her blocks... i've been slacking! uh oh!

natalie. beyond the reef said...

They are beautiful - the fabrics, the colors Rebekah selected - it was a great start to a year of 'creative'. It took me some time to start, but then, I didn't want to stop! Can't wait for February, now!!